New York, New York, United States
Virgo Health works for pharmaceutical, biotech, and device companies to inform and educate healthcare professionals about the latest developments in clinical research and therapeutic approaches. We leverage our meetings, digital, and interactive expertise to understand what’s easy and relevant for healthcare professionals to engage with. We tailor our content and design it to offer choice and active participation. Real, relevant, and human.
The senior account director (VP) provides senior counsel and expertise to their cross-functional account team. Responsibilities include ensuring that more junior level account staff are set up for success in managing the day-to-day management of the account and fostering a collaborative environment for the internal cross-functional team. Examples include reviewing and providing feedback on timelines and project management tasks, ensuring that content meets strategic objectives, reviewing client communications, and supporting successful partnerships with vendors and external stakeholders
The VP serves as a senior escalation point for the account and cross-functional team and fosters relationships internally (eg, scientific, editorial, creative) and externally (eg, clients, vendors, key stakeholders) to ensure seamless work execution. This individual identifies Virgo and/or external resources needed to successfully ideate and execute client work, and proactively works with senior leadership to ensure all resources are provided.
The VP either directly writes or oversees budget development and takes necessary action to proactively resolve future concerns. The VP has industry knowledge and SOP expertise, which they can easily apply to new client situations. They have a roster of vendor partners and are aware of general industry capabilities; in collaborating with their teams, they impart their knowledge and encourage their teams to think of appropriate and innovative solutions for their clients. The VP proactively flags any considerations regarding client strategy and serves as a sounding board for tactical strategy ideation.
This individual keeps abreast of updates happening on the client side, in the relevant therapeutic areas, in the agency environment, and in necessary regulatory environments, and proactively advises the team given the evolving environment. The VP is responsible for identifying and pursuing new business opportunities, both external and organic growth.
The VP is responsible for mentoring and training junior team members and setting a standard of excellence on their account by providing support and constructive guidance and setting expectations for overall roles and responsibilities.
The VP is ultimately accountable for all deliverables they oversee, including financial forecasting/management, and must ensure they work effectively with all Virgo team members to deliver creative, engaging peer-to-peer, prelaunch, and medical solutions within the agreed upon timeline.
The VP is a senior financial steward of the account. The VP will be expected to lead tactical brainstorming, in partnership with Virgo leadership, and create a regular tactical proposal for the account(s) they oversee.
The VP is also responsible for mentoring and training junior team members, overseeing the team’s capacity, and setting clear expectations on job roles and responsibilities.
As part of the health education management team, the VP will be seen as an ambassador for Virgo, building respect and support both internally and externally. They will be expected to have the ability to think “big picture” in the development of long-term strategic plans, to drive client business and further establish Virgo as a premier healthcare agency.
- Oversee designated accounts, appropriately directing account team activity
- Provide direction, inspiration, and strategic counsel where necessary
- Set performance targets with the client
- Monitor progress on account against targets and make necessary changes to activity to achieve them • Evaluate success of projects and overall programs
- Take accountability for the profitable management of accounts and team budgets
- Identify organic growth opportunities and drive pursuit of new opportunities
- Ensure all written communication across the agency is produced using appropriate style and format
- Accurately input hours worked into timesheets People Management
- Clearly set expectations and standards and manage team members to achieve their potential
- Delegate work fairly and consistently across the team
- Create a supportive learning culture and coach and mentor others
- Flex tone/style and delivery to better connect with and get the best from others
- Effectively manage and balance client demands with the team’s resources and capacity
- Recognize and celebrate success both individually and as team
- Assist with recruitment and induction of new team members
- Conduct regular appraisal/performance reviews and ensure team has challenging and aspirational PDPs
- Assist with talent management and team success planning Business Management
- Demonstrate an understanding of the overall business strategy and translate this into day-to-day operations
- Provide financial oversight, including drafting work orders, reviewing timesheets for all jobs under your purview, and budget management Medical Education
- Cultivate working relationships with KOLs for Virgo and on behalf of client, where appropriate
- Continue to give shape, coherence, and direction to all written materials, ensuring they meet strategic needs and overseeing quality control for all written materials Client Service
- Contribute to client strategy and thinking
- Demonstrate the ability to consult at the highest levels of the client’s organization and be recognized as a member of the senior team
- Demonstrate an understanding of the wider marketing mix and be able to provide senior client counsel
- Take responsibility for client satisfaction, retention, and development
- Achieve client buy in and support for program activity, or changes of direction if necessary
- Maintain regular contact with client regarding account direction and resourcing
- Proactively challenge clients where necessary
- Chair/facilitate external meetings when necessary
- Proactively identify opportunities for organic growth Industry Awareness
- Use understanding of the industry landscape and broader health environment, applying growing knowledge toward the implementation and development of client and new business programs
- Build an in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry, Virgo, and client environment
- Keep updated on new developments within the med ed industry and other med agency activity
- Keep updated on all relevant industry guidelines, such as PhRMA, and other regulatory bodies that have an impact on client business
- Build expert knowledge within client-specific disease areas, keeping up to date with clinical data, market research, policy, and trends
- Keep updated on client SOPs Leadership
- Inspire others and motivate them to achieve their goals, as well as Virgo’s goals
- Recognize the value and develop the potential in others today and for the future
- Demonstrate “we not I” by collaborating across the agency
- Take accountability when making mistakes and don’t hide in a crisis
- Presents and clearly communicates information to a variety of stakeholders
- Look to build opportunities externally to raise Virgo’s presence, eg, networking events, etc New Business
- Proactively identify new business opportunities, while also seeking out opportunities for organic growth with existing clients
- Assist with new business leads and the development of pitch documentation and presentations Experience/Skills Required
- Excellent people management skills and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Ability to use own initiative to drive work forward in ambiguous situations
- Adept at financial management
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills Level of Experience
- 7-10+ years of experience as senior account management or account director within a medical education agency Qualification
- Degree in a scientific or relevant discipline Virgo Characteristics
- Team player
- Passionate commitment
- Open communication
- Creatively curious
- Embraces change Key Performance Indicators
- Client feedback
- Client retention
- Development of direct reports
- Annual performance objectives and performance appraisal
Salary Range: $125,000-$225,000
Actual compensation offered within the range will depend upon, among other factors: a candidate’s skills, qualifications, and experience; actual ranges for current or former employees in the role; and market considerations.
Virgo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.